Beef in Red Wine Sauce
- 1 bunch Soup vegetables (carrot, celery, leek)
- 2 garlic
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 800 milliliters dry Red wine (e.g. burgundy, bordeaux)
- 1 kilogram Beef (from the shoulder)
- 300 grams shallots
- 2 tablespoons Pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 150 grams diced Bacon
- 100 milliliters sherry
- 800 milliliters Beef stock
- 150 grams mixed pitted Olives
- 300 grams potatoes
- 150 grams button Mushroom
- Fresh herbs (for garnish, e.g. thyme, rosemary, etc.)
Rinse and dry soup vegetables and chop into small pieces. Peel garlic and chop. Combine everything with peppercorns and wine. Rinse meat, pat dry, cut into large pieces and place into marinade. Refrigerate overnight. Meat should be fully covered by marinade. Add more wine if needed.
The next day, peel shallots and cut into strips. Remove meat from marinade, pat dry, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with flour. Heat oil in a roasting pan and brown meat on all sides on high heat. Add tomato puree and diced bacon and cook for a few minutes. Add shallots and saute together. Add sherry and simmer.
Strain marinade through a sieve and add liquid to meat. Continue simmering.Then add the rest of the marinade and olives and boil everything together. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, rinse and grate finely and place in roasting pan. Place roasting pan in preheated oven and cook stew about 2.5 hours.
While the meat is roasting, rinse mushrooms and cut in half. To serve, remove the roast from the pan and wrap in foil. Remove about half of the vegetables and puree the rest with an immersion blender. Reheat with mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour in whole vegetables, cut the roast and serve with the sauce and fresh herb garnish.