for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ½ cups white Asparagus (peeled, woody ends removed)
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons All purpose flour
- ⅜ cup cream
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups green Asparagus (halved lengthways and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 teaspoons pink peppercorns (crushed lightly in a mortar)
- Himalayan salt
- 8 slices whole-wheat Baguette
- 1 cup Feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 handful Lemon thyme
Bring 1 l of water to the boil with the lemon juice, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Add the white asparagus and peelings and boil for around 10 minutes. Drain through a sieve and reserve the cooking water. Chop the asparagus into large chunks and discard the peel.
In a separate pan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and mix in the asparagus cooking water. Add the cooked asparagus and blend to a fine purée. Pass through a sieve if desired. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the asparagus pieces for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Add the crushed peppercorns and season with Himalaya salt.
Divide the soup between bowls. Top each bowl with 2 slices of baguette, a little feta, fried asparagus and thyme. Drizzle with the remaining oil and serve.