West African Croquettes
- vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 3 cups salt cod (rehydrated and rinsed in water for 24 hours)
- 1.333 cups plain flour
- ⅜ cup milk
- lemons (juiced from one lemon)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 red chili peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 Lime (cut into wedges)
Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the bay leaf and the salt cod. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the water and discard any skin and bones and flake the flesh.
Whisk the flour, the eggs and the milk with some salt and pepper to make a simple batter. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan to 170°C | 325F.
Let the batter rest while you combine the cod flakes, the onion, garlic, lemon juice, chillies and parsley. Season gently and combine the cod mixture with the batter.
Form balls of the mixture and drop into the oil, cooking for 3 minutes until golden and crispy. Cook in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
Serve with lime wedges.