Vegetable Tagine with Couscous
This vegetable tagine is packed with vitamins and minerals, while the couscous adds valuable carbs for energy.
Feel free to substitute the couscous for brown rice, quinoa or whichever grain you prefer.
- For Tagine Vegetables
- 3 Tbsps butter
- 2 cups Butternut squash (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 8 ozs fresh Green beans (washed and trimmed)
- ¼ head white Cabbage (shredded)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 dried chili pepper (crushed in a mortar)
- 3 small zucchini (washed and sliced)
- 1 small Eggplant (cubed)
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 4 ripe tomatoes (washed; trimmed and quartered)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup parsley (to garnish)
- cilantro (sprigs)
For Tagine Vegetables:
Combine the saffron and vegetable stock and pour into the tagine. Stir in the chickpeas and tomatoes, cook covered for another 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.