Steamed Mexican Tamales
This satiating recipe is full of protein from the pork and will provide you with plenty of energy from the corn.
Serve this with a side salad or some rice and beans for a complete meal!
- For the tamales
- 18 ounces pork escalope (fillet style)
- 2 onions
- ½ cup Ancho chile peppers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 6 ½ cups Masa Harina (corn flour)
- 1 cup Meat stock
- ¾ cup pork Lard
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- corn husk (or banana leaves)
Soak the chile anchos in 17 ounces of hot water for 10 minutes, then puree in a blender with 2 cloves garlic. Heat the puree for 3 minutes in 1 tbsp clarified butter, stirring. Add the meat, season with salt and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the sauce thickens.