Spicy Soup with Shrimp
- 16 medium shrimp (with head, about 400 grams)
- 2 garlic
- 2 centimeters ginger
- 1 stalk Lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Leaf lettuce varieties (of kaffir lime)
- 400 milliliters Chicken broth (instant)
- 2 tablespoons Fish sauce
- 400 milliliters Coconut milk (canned, unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons yellow Curry paste
- 2 red chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
Thaw shrimp, remove heads, devein and remove the meat from the Rinse shells and reserve along with heads. Drain shrimp in a colander.
Peel garlic and ginger and finely chop both. Trim and chop lemongrass.
Heat oil in a wok and fry shrimp shells with heads while stirring. Add lemongrass, ginger, garlic and lime leaves, stir in broth to deglaze then cook covered for 20 minutes over medium heat. Pour through a fine sieve. Add broth and lime leaves back to the wok. Stir in coconut milk and yellow curry paste.
Cut chile peppers lengthwise, remove seeds and cut into thin rings. Pour into the soup and cook uncovered, 3 minutes. Add shrimp and let simmer for about 2 minutes at lowest heat. To serve, season with lime juice to taste, stir in cilantro and place in small bowls.