- 16 medium sized Shrimp about 400 grams (approximately 14 ounces)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 centimeters Ginger root
- 1 Lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 4 leaves kaffir lime
- 400 milliliters Chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Fish sauce
- 400 milliliters canned Coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons yellow Curry paste
- 2 Red Chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- cilantro leaf (for garnish)
Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails intact. Rinse and pat dry.
Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Finely chop the lemongrass.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot and sauté the shrimp briefly. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and mix well. Deglaze with the poultry broth, cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve. Return the broth to the pot and stir in the coconut milk and yellow curry paste.
Cut the chile peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds and slice thinly. Add the chile peppers to the soup and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp to the soup, remove from heat and let stand for about 2 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with a bit of lime juice and garnish with fresh cilantro.