Shellfish Broth with Toasts
ready in 50 min.
- 9 cups mussels (washed and de-bearded)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small Fennel bulb (stalk removed, diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- ⅞ cup dry white wine
- ⅞ cup vegetable stock
- ⅞ cup fish stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- ⅞ cup cream (at least 30% fat)
- ⅛ cup Pastis
- fresh Fresh herbs (to garnish)
- 4 slices Baguette (toasted)
How healthy are the main ingredients?Fennel bulb
Discard any open mussels and heat the oil in a pot. Fry the fennel and the pepper, add the mussels and deglaze with the wine, vegetable stock and the fish stock. Season with salt, stir in the tomato puree and simmer for around 6 min.
Dispose of any closed mussels and set aside the open ones. Add the cream to the broth, puree and bring to the boil. Stir in the pastis and season to taste with ground black pepper.
Return the mussels to the pot, heat through and then pour the soup into bowls. Garnish with the herbs and serve with the baguette.