North African Meat Casserole
This dish is full of protein and nutrients, making it extremeley well rounded and great for those who are on a diet. It is low carb, but has plenty of healthy fats and nutrients from the nuts and dried fruits. The spices add other health benefits like reduced inflammation.
Serve this with a side of rice or potatoes for a more complete meal.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground peppers
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 7 cups Veal shoulder (cut into 2)
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 ½ cups Tomato juice
- 4 cups canned, chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup dried Apricot (halved)
- ¾ cup Prune
- 0.333 cup raisins
- ¾ cup blanched almonds (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon Saffron
- 2 ½ cups Veal stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds
- freshly ground peppers
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
Deglaze the frying pan with 5 ounces tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.
Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, prunes, raisins, almonds, saffron, stock and honey to the casserole dish. Bring to a boil, cover and cook in the oven for 2-2½ hours, until the meat is tender.