Moroccan Chicken Stew
ready in 1 hr 45 min.
- 1 prepared chicken (approx. 1.2 kg, cut into portion-sized pieces)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 4 small onions
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- ⅔ cup green Olives (stones removed)
- 1 ½ lemons (cut into thick slices)
- 2 Artichoke (jar), quartered
- 2 Tbsps fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 Tbsps fresh parsley (chopped)
- parsley (to garnish)
Rub the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and fry on all sides in 3 tbsp oil. Set aside.
Heat the butter and the oil in a roasting tin. Add the onions and sauté lightly. Add the garlic, ginger, saffron and 250 ml water and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken and turn often until the pieces are completely covered in sauce. Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for about 30 minutes with a lid on.
Add the olives, lemons, artichokes, coriander and parsley and simmer further for another 15 minutes. Season to taste. When the chicken is done, remove it from the liquid and keep warm. If the sauce is too liquid allow to reduce at a slightly higher temperature.
Arrange the chicken and the rest of the ingredients on a preheated platter (tagine) and serve immediately.