Moroccan Chicken Stew
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
- 1 chicken (approx. 1.2 kg, jointed)
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 4 shallots (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsps fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tin Saffron (0.1 g)
- 1.333 cups chicken stock (approx)
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 8 dried Date (pitted and chopped)
- ½ cup green Olives (pitted)
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 handful mint
- 2 tsps honey
Rub the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Wash the lemon in hot water, then pat dry. Peel the zest using a zest peeler. Now squeeze out the lemon juice.
Combine the saffron with 3-4 tablespoons of hot chicken stock and stir. Heat the oil and sauté the shallots, garlic and ginger. Add the chicken pieces and the lemon juice, then pour in the stock and the saffron. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.
Cover and simmer gently for about 35-40 minutes.
Mix the dates with the lemon zest. Add to the tajine during the last 5-10 minutes, together with the olives. Wash the herbs, shake dry and remove the leaves.
Season the tajine with honey, salt and pepper, sprinkle herbs over the top and serve.