Mexican Tequila Chicken over Vegetables
ready in 1 hr 30 min.
- For Chicken Legs
- 6 Chicken legs
- 1 ½ Tbsps lime seasoning blend divided (Mrs. Dash® recommended)
- ½ tsp Caraway (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2 Tbsps Canola oil (divided)
- ¼ cup Lime juice
- ¼ cup Tequila
- 2 Tbsps chopped cilantro
- For Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 white onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 ribs Celery (rinsed and diced)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 yellow Bell pepper (rinsed; seeded and diced)
- 1 green Bell pepper (rinsed; seeded and diced)
- 2 tsps fresh Lime juice
- 4 Plum tomato (rinsed and diced)
- 2 cups whole Corn kernel (fresh; canned or frozen)
- 2 cups canned White bean (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups canned Kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 Jalapeño (seeded and diced)
- 4 fresh scallions (rinsed and chopped)
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium Chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh cilantro
For Chicken Legs:
Rinse chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. In a resealable plastic storage bag, combine 1 tablespoon seasoning blend, caraway seeds, 1 tablespoon canola oil, lime juice, tequila and cilantro. Secure the seal and shake to blend. Add the chicken legs and gently shake or turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF.
Heat the remaining canola oil in a large skillet, set over medium heat. Add the chicken legs and brown the chicken on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
Sprinkle with remaining lime seasoning and caraway seeds prior to serving. Serve on vegetables.
For Vegetable Soup:
While the chicken is cooking, heat the oil in a Dutch oven, set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and saute until tender crisp. Add the garlic and peppers and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and maintain a gentle simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until soup is heated through. Add chopped cilantro and stir to mix.
Divide between serving bowls and top with a roasted chicken leg. Serve.