Variation On A Classic Dish
Lobster Penne Mac 'n Cheese
with 3 cheeses
ready in 1 hr 5 min.
- coarse salt
- 16 ozs Penne
- 2 cups heavy cream (heated)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (divided)
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lobster stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 cups Gruyere (grated)
- 1 cup pecorino romano (grated)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 24 ozs cooked Lobster meat
- 3 Tbsps Panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta; cook according to package instructions, about 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Do not boil. In a large saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter; add flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk for about 2 minutes. Add the hot heavy cream, stock, and wine; whisk and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and slightly thickened.
Gradually, add the Cheddar, Gruyere and Pecorino Romano cheeses. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add pasta and cooked lobster, stirring to incorporate. Place the mixture in a buttered baking dish.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, mix with panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over the top. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.