Leg of Lamb with Root Vegetables
ready in 1 hr 45 min.
- 1 Leg of lamb (trimmed; rolled; and tied)
- 5 cloves garlic cloves (peeled; cut into slivers)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- peppers (to taste)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (leaves chopped; plus extra for garnish)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and cut into 3-inch long pieces)
- 3 medium Parsnips (peeled; cut in half lengthwise and cut into 3-inch long pieces)
- 3 small Turnip (washed)
- 6 small potatoes (washed and cut in half)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
With a small knife, make slits on the outside of the lamb and insert most of the garlic slivers into the slits. Rub the meat with oil olive and season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle the remaining olive oil into a large Dutch oven and over a medium heat saute the remaining garlic slivers and chopped rosemary until fragrant. Place lamb in Dutch oven and brown on all sides. (approximately 6-8 minutes)
Remove from heat and add vegetables around the lamb. Place in preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and continue roasting for another 60 to 80 minutes, depending on the size of the leg and personal preference. Test internal temperature with an instant-read meat thermometer. Rare- medium rare should register 120 to 135 degrees, medium to medium well done 140 to 155 degrees, and well done 160 degrees F and above. Keep in mind the meat continues to cook for a few minutes while resting outside the oven.
Remove kitchen string and any netting from lamb. Carve the meat crosswise into thin slices. Arrange on a warm platter with roasted vegetables. Garnish with rosemary and pan juices if desired.