Japanese Noodles with Steak
- 11 ounces Udon Noodle (cooked as per package instructions)
- ⅔ cup shiitake mushrooms
- ⅔ cup Chestnut mushroom (sliced)
- 1 cup misome greens (use spinach if not available)
- ⅔ cup fresh Tofu (cubed)
- 2 ½ cups Sirloin steak (sliced thinly)
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- ¼ cup Mirin
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 cups water
Place the water, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and caster sugar in a casserole dish. Bring to a simmer over a moderate heat.
Reduce the heat and add the beef, allowing it to poach gently for 6-8 minutes until rare.
Add the noodles, misome (or spinach), mushrooms, and tofu towards the end of cooking to heat through gently.
Spoon into serving bowls, making sure not to add too much of the broth. Serve immediately.