Festive Mature Lamb Roast
ready in 3 d. 2 h. 45 min.
- 2 garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons medium Mustard
- 35 ounces Mutton (shoulder, ready-to-cook)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 carrot (peeled and roughly chopped)
- ¼ Celeriac (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 garlic (halved)
- 2 sprigs rosemary (needles removed)
- 2 cups lamb stock
- ⅔ cup dry Red wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
Mix together the garlic and the mustard and brush onto the meat. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for 2-3 days.
Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven), 400°F, gas 6.
Season the meat with salt and fry in a hot oil in a roasting tin on all sides on a high heat.
Add the vegetables, garlic bulbs and the rosemary to the roasting tin. Add some of the stock and braise in the oven for 1.5-2 hours. If necessary add some more stock.
Remove the meat from the oven, keep warm and deglaze the meat juice with the wine. Sieve and then add the remaining stock and simmer on a medium heat. Bind with the flour and butter keeping the ratio at 1:1 and season with salt and ground black pepper.
Slice the meat and arrange on a platter with the garlic bulbs and the rosemary. Serve the gravy in a gravy boat.