for 4 servings
- clarified butter (for frying)
- 1 Red onion (finely sliced into rings)
- 1 red Cabbage (approx. 1 kg, quartered and finely sliced)
- ⅞ cup venison stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 unwaxed Oranges (flesh diced)
- 8 Venison medallions (approx. 75 g each)
Heat a little clarified butter in a large pan and fry the onion rings until translucent. Add the cabbage and fry, stirring. Add the stock, cover and cook over a moderate heat for 25-30 minutes. The cabbage should retain a slight bite.
Stir in the cinnamon, season to taste with salt and ground black pepper, remove from the heat and leave to infuse. Stir in the orange pieces and check the seasoning.
Heat a little clarified butter in a frying pan. Season the venison with salt and ground black pepper and sear on both sides, then reduce the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve on top of the red cabbage.