Cold Tomato Soup
8,7 / 10
ready in 3 h. 20 min.
- 32 ounces large tomatoes (halved and seeded)
- 8 cups French Bread (crust removed; cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 green Bell pepper (seeded; diced)
- 1 cup Cucumber (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup onions (diced)
- 2 ribs Celery (strings removed; diced)
- ½ bunch cilantro (chopped plus extra sprigs for garnish)
- ¼ cup Red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ cups water
- salt (to taste)
- peppers (to taste)
- ½ cup seasoned Crouton (for garnish)
Over a bowl and using a sieve, press tomatoes to release juices (about 1/2 cup). Chop the remaining tomato pieces.
Transfer chopped tomatoes and juices to large glass bowl. Add the bread, pepper, cucumber, onion, celery, cilantro, (reserve some of the chopped vegetables to use as garnish), vinegar, olive oil, garlic, cumin and paprika. Let the gazpacho stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
Using a hand blender, puree the gazpacho with 1 1/2 cup water until smooth. Pour gazpacho into coarse strainer set over large bowl to remove any remaining chunks, pressing to extract as much soup as possible. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day. Serve cold, dividing among bowls.
Garnish with reserved diced green pepper, cucumber, onion, celery, croutons, and cilantro sprigs.