Beef, Fennel and Carrot Stew
ready in 2 h. 55 min.
- 42 ozs Oxtail (cut into chunks)
- ⅛ cup clarified butter
- 4 onions (two finely diced)
- 4 carrots (half finely diced, half sliced into batons)
- 2 stalks Celery (sliced)
- 1 small Fennel bulb (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely diced)
- 3 tomatoes (diced)
- 2 ½ cups Beef stock
- 1 tsp Caper (from a jar)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 leaf bay leaves
- 2.333 cups potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 0.333 cup sugar Snap pea
- 1 zucchini (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½ handful parsley (roughly chopped)
Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C in a fan oven), 350°F, gas 4.
Season the oxtail with salt and ground black pepper. Heat the clarified butter in a pan and sear the oxtail pieces on all sides. Remove from the pan and put to one side. To the fat from the meat add the onions, finely diced carrots, celery, fennel and garlic and fry, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes.
Add the oxtail pieces and tomatoes. Pour over the stock and add the capers, thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and ground black pepper and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, adding extra stock if needed.
Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for around 25 minutes or until tender.
Add the remaining carrots to the casserole 15 minutes before the end of cooking time. Add the sugar snap peas and courgette 10 minutes before the end of cooking time.
Finally, stir in the parsley, check the seasoning and serve in bowls with the drained potatoes.