Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 1 kilogram lean Beef (such as from the shoulder)
- 3 carrots
- 6 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- ½ liter strong Red wine (such as Burgundy)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ handful thyme
- 500 milliliters Beef stock (or vegetable broth)
- freshly ground peppers
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
Rinse beef, pat dry and cut into small to medium cubes. Peel carrots, trim and cut into slices. Peel shallot. Remove garlic and finely chop.
Heat oil in a saucepan and sear beef on all sides in portions. Then add shallots, garlic and carrots and fry briefly. Add tomato paste and sauté briefly. Add a little red wine and let boil down slightly. Add remaining wine, bay leaves, half of thyme and beef stock. Simmer for about 1.5-2 hours over low heat. Stir occasionally and add more broth as needed.
Then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf and thyme and serve in bowls sprinkled with fresh thyme and chopped parsley.