Turkey with Filling
- For the filling
- 2 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 Lemongrass (hard parts removed, minced)
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 1 red chili pepper (seeded and minced)
- 175 grams fresh Wheat bread
- 1 small Mango (peeled, pitted and chopped)
- 2 tsps freshly chopped cilantro
- freshly ground peppers
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
Preheat oven to 190°C (approximately 350°F).
For the filling: Peel and trim carrots, set aside.
Heat oil in a pan, add ginger and lemongrass and cook for 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic and chile and cook for another 5 minutes, until onion is soft. Remove from heat and combine remaining filling ingredients. Stuff filling into turkey and secure with kitchen twine. Shape remaining filling into balls and bake for 20 minutes.
For the turkey: Stuff half a bunch of cilantro and lemon wedges into the turkey. Weigh turkey and cook for about 15 minutes per 450 grams (approximately 1 pound).
Place turkey, breast-side down, in a greased roasting pan and roast according to weight. Add carrot to pan 30 minutes before the end of cooking.
Remove finished turkey and cover with aluminum foil, let rest for about 15 minutes.
Carve turkey and serve with filling.