Sri Lankan Curry
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Chicken thigh (skinned, boned and chopped)
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into batons)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 Tbsps Curry powder
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green chili pepper (depending on how hot you want it)
- 8 scallions (ends trimmed)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups canned Tomatoes
- 1 ¼ cups Basmati rice
- Chives (to serve)
Suggested variation: Chicken Colombo with Green Beans Add steamed green beans to the curry mix for crunch
Heat the oil and sear the chicken until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onions and carrots and cook until softened, then add the garlic and spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chillies, spring onions, stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan.
Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile tip the rice into a pan and cook in boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Drain well.