ready in 1 hr
- 4 tablespoons good-quality olive oil (divided)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and pressed)
- 1 teaspoon crushed Red pepper flakes
- 2 cups uncooked, short-grain white rice
- 1 pinch Saffron (may substitute 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 fresh lemons (zested)
- 1 spanish onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large, red Bell pepper (rinsed; trimmed and coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup frozen, shelled peas
- 3 cups fresh mussels (scrubbed and debearded)
- 3 cups shrimp (rinsed; peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (rinsed and roughly chopped)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet or paella pan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and rice. Cook, stirring, to coat rice with oil, for about 3 minutes. Stir in saffron threads, paprika, bay leaf, chicken stock, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Stir in chopped onion; cook 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper; cook 5 minutes. Stir in chopped onions; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the red pepper and mussels; cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp; cook, turning the shrimp, until both sides are pink.
Finally stir the butter into the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the onion, pepper and seafood mixture on top of the rice. Garnish with cilantro, divide among plates and serve.