Meatballs with Pasta
8,4 / 10
ready in 1 hr
- 28 ozs canned, crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- ½ cup fine, fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 24 ozs ground Beef
- 1 medium onion (peeled and minced)
- 3 Tbsps fresh parsley (chopped)
- ¼ tsp crushed Red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ Tbsps good-quality olive oil
- 16 ozs dry Spaghetti
- Parmesan grated (to serve)
Simmer crushed tomatoes with garlic, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a 3-quart / 2.84 liter heavy saucepan, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Add ground beef, onion, parsley, red pepper flakes, and remaining salt. Blend with clean hands until just combined. Roll into meatballs, using approximately 2 tablespoons of the mixture for each meatball.
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking, cook meatballs in 2 batches, turning occasionally, until well browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer browned meatballs with a slotted spoon to tomato sauce.
Simmer meatballs, covered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes. Serve pasta with tomato sauce and meatballs. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.