ready in 55 min.
- 2 slices day old, italian Bread (torn into pieces)
- ½ cup milk
- 16 ozs ground Beef
- ⅔ cup sweet Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 Tbsps fresh, italian parsley (finely chopped)
- 6 Tbsps Parmesan (freshly grated)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp allspice
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 3 Tbsps unbleached all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 4 Tbsps virgin olive oil
Soak the bread pieces in milk for 5 minutes. Squeeze the bread dry and discard the milk.
In a large bowl, combine the bread, beef, sausage, eggs, parsley, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest, allspice, salt and pepper. Use your hands to knead until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended. Shape the meat mixture into small balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter.
Place the sifted flour in a shallow bowl. Coat the prepared meatballs lightly in the flour. Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs for 8 to 10 minutes on all sides, or until browned and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Serve the meatballs hot or with tomato sauce.
Heat olive oil in skillet. Drain a third of the tomato juice from the can. Add the tomatoes and wine to the skillet. Using a wooden spoon, break up the tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Add the basil, and season with salt and pepper.
Add the meatballs and simmer over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until heated through. Serve immediately.