for 4 servings
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ inches fresh Ginger root (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 green chile peppers (chopped)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 28 ounces Lamb shoulder (cut into large chunks)
- 2 teaspoons Coriander seed (crushed)
- 2 Cardamom pods (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 cup lamb stock (or water)
- 2 handfuls Spinach (washed and roughly chopped)
Put the garlic, ginger, chillies and onion in a food processor and blend to make a puree.
Heat the oil in a wide pan and brown the meat pieces on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Fry the spices in the oil for 2 minutes then add the salt and onion puree and cook for 3 minutes.
Return the meat to the pan, add the tomato paste and lamb stock, then cover and simmer very gently for about 45 minutes. Add a little water during the cooking if needed.
Add the spinach to the pan and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the lamb is very tender.