Italian Hunter's Stew
ready in 2 h.
- 3 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 organic lemon (juiced and zest grated)
- 4 sprigs rosemary (chopped)
- 5 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 prepared chicken approx. 1.2 kg (2 1/2 lb), broken into pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 Tbsps tomato puree
- 1 tsp stock granule
- 2 Sardine (from a jar or tin, finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsps Caper (from a jar, finely chopped)
- 4 Tbsps black Olives (chopped)
- 11 ozs Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 ⅔ cups tomato puree
- Garlic Bread (to serve)
- Basil (chopped, to garnish)
Place the garlic, peppercorns, lemon zest and half the rosemary in a mortar and grid finely. Stir in 2 tbsp oil and half a tsp sea salt. Rub the chicken with this marinade and then cover and allow to rest for approx. 1 hour.
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the chicken on all sides for approx. 10 minutes until golden brown. Brush with the remaining marinade, quench with the wine and bring to the boil. Then add 4 tbsp tomato puree, lemon juice and the stock.
Mix together the sardines, capers and olives and then add to the chicken along with the mushrooms and 400 g tomato puree. Braise without a lid for approx. 30 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper and then garnish with chopped basil leaves and the remaining rosemary and serve with the garlic bread.