Glazed Vegan, Gluten-free Lemon and Basil Doughnuts
ready in 1 hr 35 min.
- softened butter (for the tray)
- 1 teaspoon crushed flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons mineral water (lemon flavour)
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 0.333 cup Almond flour
- ⅕ cup Coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 0.031 ounce xanthan gum
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch peppers
- ½ cup Apple juice
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla sugar
- 4 ½ ounces apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ cup mineral water (lemon flavour)
- 1 handful Basil (finely chopped)
- 1 unwaxed lemon (grated zest and juice)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan), 400°F, gas 6. Grease a 12 hole doughnut tin.
Add the linseeds to the mineral water and leave to swell for around 5 minutes.
In a bowl, mix together the four types of flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum and salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, beat the apple juice, vanilla sugar, apple puree, oil and lemon zest using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Whisk in the linseeds. Continue mixing, then add the flour mixture and mix in quickly.
Add enough lemon-flavoured mineral water to create a smooth, uniform dough. Stir in half the chopped basil and transfer the mixture to the tins. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool in the tins.
Mix together the remaining chopped basil and the lemon juice. Leave to infuse for around 45 minutes then press through a sieve.
Sift the icing sugar into the mixture a little at a time, stirring, until thick.
Spoon into a small piping bag and pipe stripes onto the doughnuts. Sprinkle with lemon zest and leave to set.