Ginger and Lime Buns
- For the cupcakes
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup superfine caster sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup self-rising flour (sifted)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 unwaxed Lime (finely grated zest)
- For the topping
- 1.333 cups cream (48% fat)
- 3 Tbsps Ginger syrup (from a jar)
- 1 oz fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- To decorate
- 3 unwaxed Limes (coarsely grated zest)
For the cupcakes: heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350°F gas 4. Grease a 12 hole bun tin.
Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy.
Gradually beat in the eggs, beating until fully incorporated into the mixture. Fold in the flour, salt, lime zest and ginger until blended.
Spoon the mixture into the tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the topping: whisk together all the ingredients until thick.
Spoon into a piping bag and pipe on top of each cake. Decorate with lime zest.