Fruity Spiced Meat Stew
2 h. 30 min.
- 2 Tbsps sunflower oil
- 6 cups boneless Lamb shoulder (trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 3 tsps mild Curry powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves (lightly crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (crumbled)
- freshly ground Black pepper
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 ½ cups lamb (or vegetable stock)
- 1 green pepper (seeded and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 Banana (cut into thick slices)
- cooked Rice (to serve)
- cilantro (to serve)
Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and brown the meat on all sides. This may need to be done in batches. Transfer to a heatproof casserole.
Add the sliced onions to the frying pan and cook until soft, transfer to the casserole.
Add the curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon, crushed cloves, black pepper and bay leafs to the casserole, and cook out for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the vinegar and stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
30 minutes before the end of cooking add the green pepper.
15 minutes before the end of cooking add the thickly sliced banana. Adjust seasoning to taste.
When cooked, serve with boiled rice. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.