Festive Pain D'epices
1 hr 15 min.
- 1.333 cups Dark chocolate (chopped)
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- ⅔ cup ground almonds
- 5 eggs
- 0.333 cup liquid honey
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger (chopped)
- ¼ cup candied Orange peel (chopped)
- ¼ cup dried Apricot (chopped)
- 6 Star anise
- 3 Maraschino cherry (with stems)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 170°C (150 fan) | 325°F | gas 3.
Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bain-marie or microwave.
Combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, allspice and ground almonds.
Break the eggs into another large bowl, add the honey and sugar and mix with an electric beater until frothy. Add the melted chocolate and butter followed by the combined flour, spices and ground almonds. Finally add the ginger, candied peel and apricots and give the mix a stir.
Pour the mixture into a buttered Christmas tree mould and bake for about 1 hour. To check if ready, insert a knife; it should come out clean.
Leave to cool for a few minutes before removing from the mould. Decorate the cake with the star anise and cherries then dust with icing sugar through a fine sieve.