Bucatini Bolognaise Gratin
7,3 / 10
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
- butter (for the dish)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely diced)
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 ⅔ cups ground Meat (a mixture of beef, veal or pork)
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, drained and chopped)
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 Tbsps thyme (chopped)
- 14 ozs Bucatini (or macaroni)
- 2 cups grated Mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven), 400°F, gas 6 and grease an oven-proof dish with butter.
Briefly fry the onion and garlic in a pan in hot oil. Add the minced meat and and fry until it has a crumbly texture. Stir in the tomato purée, the sundried tomatoes and the tinned tomatoes. Season with salt, ground black pepper, thyme and sugar.
Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until still very al dente. Drain well in a colander.
Mix together the mozzarella and the parmesan. Layer the macaroni, meat mixture and half of the cheese mixture in the dish. Scatter the remaining cheese over the final layer of pasta and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes until golden brown.