Vegetarian Gratin from Southern Spain
- In addition
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 Celery (finely chopped)
- 4 large carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 4 zucchini (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- dried Chili flakes
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 cup Manchego (or Cheddar cheese, grated)
- black Olives (stoned)
Preheat the oven to 180°C | 350F | gas 4
Cook the lentils in the vegetable stock for 15-20 minutes, until al dente. Drain, reserving the stock.
Heat the oil in a casserole and cook the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and courgettes until softened.
Stir in the lentils, paprika and chilli, then add the tomatoes.
If the mixture looks a little dry add 100ml of the reserved vegetable stock.
Season, then sprinkle with grated cheese and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden. Scatter with the olives and serve.