Spiced Lamb Stew
ready in 2 h. 40 min.
- 5 ½ cups lamb (e. g. shoulder; cut into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 cups lamb stock
- 2 ⅔ cups waxy potatoes (cut into pieces)
- 4 tomatoes (cut into pieces)
- Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ cups Long grain rice
Brown the lamb all over in hot oil in a pan or casserole dish. Add the onions and garlic and fry until golden brown. Stir in the tomato purée and add the stock. Add the potatoes and tomatoes and season with salt, ground black pepper, cumin and turmeric. Half cover and stew gently for around 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water or stock if required.
Bring around 700 ml salted water to the boil, add the rice, cover and simmer over a low heat for around 20 minutes.
Check the seasoning in the curry. Divide the rice between bowls, top with the curry and serve.