Pearl Barley Risotto with Mushrooms
76 / 100
ready in 45 min.
- 6 cups Mixed Mushrooms (such as enoki; shiitake; porcini; oyster)
- 4 Tbsps good-quality olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1.333 cups Pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves picked; plus additional sprigs for garnish)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsps fresh Orange juice
- 2 tsps fresh Orange zest
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
Clean and trim the mushrooms, roughly chopping any large ones.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and saute the mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan; heat the remaining oil and saute the onion until soft and translucent. Add the barley, bay leaf and thyme leaves, and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently to coat the barley. Deglaze the pan with the wine and allow to evaporate. Add stock, 1/2 cup at a time to the barley mixture; cook stirring frequently, allowing the the barley to absorb the stock before adding the next 1/2 cup. Cook the barley for about 15 minutes or until tender. Add additional broth or a little water if necessary.
Stir in the mushrooms, orange juice and zest, and half of the cheese, heat through. Remove the bay leaf, season to taste with salt and ground black pepper and arrange on plates. Serve garnished with thyme sprigs and the remaining cheese.