North African Stew with Beans and Pumpkin
1 hr 20 min.
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 clove crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tsps Cumin powder
- 4 Cinnamon stick (broken into pieces)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (drained)
- 3.333 cups Pumpkin (cut into large chunks)
- 4 waxy potatoes (cut into large chunks)
- 1 cup canned, chopped Tomatoes
- freshly ground peppers
- 1 preserved lemon (roughly chopped)
- ⅔ cup green Olives
Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350°F gas 4.
Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and cook the onion and garlic for 3 minutes, until soft.
Add the cumin and cinnamon sticks and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chickpeas, pumpkin, potatoes and tomatoes. Pour in water if needed, to cover.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook in the oven for about 1 hour, until the pumpkin is tender. Add the preserved lemon and olives and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve with couscous.