Meatballs with Rosti
- For the meatballs
- 1.333 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 18 ounces ground Beef
- 1 onion (grated)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- For the sauce
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red Bell pepper (seeds removed, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- hot water
- 1 tablespoon Tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1.333 cups Beef stock (or vegetable stock)
- To serve
- potato rosti
For the meatballs: soak the bread in a little water until soft, squeeze dry and put in a bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well, breaking up any clumps of meat with a fork.
Roll the mixture into golf ball-sized balls.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs in batches until browned on all sides.
For the sauce: heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the onion and pepper until softened.
Mix the tomato puree with a little hot water, add to the pan and stir well. Stir in the tomato sauce and stock.
Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Add the meatballs and stir well. Stir in the oregano and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
Put into warm serving dishes and serve with potato rosti.