- 1 ½ kilograms (approximately 2 pounds) Lamb shoulder (, Divided into evenly sized pieces of meat with bones)
- 300 grams (approximately 10 1/2 ounces) honey
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 generous pinch ground saffron
- 1 kilogram (approximately 2 pounds) small onions
- 150 grams (approximately 5 1/3 ounces) blanched almonds
In a tajine (or Dutch oven) Bring about 1 liter (approximately 1 quart) of water, to a boil. Add the lamb shoulder, cinnamon, ginger, saffron, salt and 2 tablespoons of honey and reduce to a gently simmer. Cover and cook 2 hours.
Peel meantime onions and chop. After the lamb has simmered for 2 hours, add the onions,almonds, and remaining honey to the pot. Cover and simmer 2 hours longer or until the meat is very tender and the liquid has reduced. Serve hot.