German Christmas Bites
1 hr 10 min.
ready in 3 h. 10 min.
- ½ cup candied pineapple (finely diced)
- ½ cup Golden raisins
- 0.333 cup mixed, chopped Citrus peels
- 0.333 cup chopped Candied cherry
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- 1 unwaxed lemon (finely grated zest)
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Rum
- 2 ½ cups white Bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 ½ tsps quick-rising active dry yeast
- ¼ cup superfine caster sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- ⅔ cup warm milk (plus extra if needed)
Mix together the fruits, almonds, spices and rum. Cover and leave to stand while making the dough.
Put the flour, yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the egg, melted butter and milk and mix to a dough. If the dough feels dry and crumbly, add a further 1-2 tablespoons milk.
Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-1 1/4 hours, until doubled in size.
Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Gradually knead in the fruit mixture until it is evenly distributed through the dough.
Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide it into 30-40 pieces, rolling each piece into a small log. Place the logs on the baking trays about 2cm|1"apart. Cover and leave to rise for about 45 minutes, until the logs are puffy.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350°F gas 4.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Cool on the baking trays for 10 minutes.
Toss the stollen in the melted butter, then in the icing sugar. Allow to cool completely.