German Christmas Bites
1 hr 10 min.
ready in 3 h. 10 min.
- ½ cup candied pineapple (finely diced)
- ½ cup Golden raisins
- 0.333 cup mixed, chopped Citrus peels
- 0.333 cup chopped Candied cherry
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- 1 unwaxed lemon (finely grated zest)
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Rum
- 2 ½ cups white Bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 ½ tsps quick-rising active dry yeast
- ¼ cup superfine caster sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- ⅔ cup warm milk (plus extra if needed)
- To finish
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar (for dusting)
- ½ cup melted butter
Mix together the fruits, almonds, spices and rum. Cover and leave to stand while making the dough.
Put the flour, yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the egg, melted butter and milk and mix to a dough. If the dough feels dry and crumbly, add a further 1-2 tablespoons milk.
Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-1 1/4 hours, until doubled in size.
Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Gradually knead in the fruit mixture until it is evenly distributed through the dough.
Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide it into 30-40 pieces, rolling each piece into a small log. Place the logs on the baking trays about 2cm|1"apart. Cover and leave to rise for about 45 minutes, until the logs are puffy.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350°F gas 4.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Cool on the baking trays for 10 minutes.
Toss the stollen in the melted butter, then in the icing sugar. Allow to cool completely.