Fruit and Nut Cake
2 h. 50 min.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup superfine caster sugar
- 5 eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups self-rising flour (sifted)
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 ¼ cups Currants
- 1 ¼ cups raisins
- ¾ cup candied Orange peel
- ½ cup Almond flour
- ¾ cup whole or chopped Nut (e. g. pecans, almonds, hazlenuts)
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup Candied cherry (rinsed, dried and quartered)
Heat the oven to 170°C (150° fan) 325°F gas 3. Grease and line a 25 cm| 10"round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, with a teaspoon of the flour, beating well after each addition.
Sift the remaining flour with the spice and fold into the butter mixture. Fold in the dried fruits and peel and mix well. Gently fold in the ground almonds.
Spoon into the tin and slightly hollow the centre with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from the oven and scatter the whole and chopped nuts, flaked almonds and cherries on top of the cake. Return to the oven and cook for a further 40-60 minutes, until the cake is cooked through. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.