Fresh Scallop Chowder
ready in 1 hr 5 min.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large white potatoes (peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
- 3 cups dry Scallop (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup Pernod
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- kosher salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- freshly snipped Chives (for garnish)
Pernod is an anise-flavored liqueur that adds flavor and depth to the chowder.
Melt the butter, in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, or about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the potatoes, stirring to coat with butter; cook for 2 minutes. Add the scallops and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
Add the cream and simmer for 25 minutes, add the Pernod and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
If chowder becomes too thick, thin it with a small amount of milk. Ladle chowder into bowls and garnish with snipped chives. Serve.