Dal with Spiced Poultry
93 / 100
- 2 cups Red lentils (or red lentils)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 yellow pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 4 Chicken thigh (skinned, deboned and roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp Chili powder (optional)
- 1 ⅔ cups Coconut milk
- fresh cilantro
Lentil Dal You can make a simple dal by cooking the lentils as above then adding half the coconut milk to make it less liquid. Serve with nan.
Wash the lentils and pick over for any small stones. Cook in the vegetable stock for about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain the lentils, reserving the cooking liquor.
Heat the oil and cook the onions and garlic until golden. Add the chicken and spices and cook until golden.
Return the lentils to the pan and stir well, then stir in the coconut milk, adding a little lentil cooking liquid to loosen. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve decorated with fresh coriander.