Buttermilk Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
ready in 1 hr
- For Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour (not-self rising)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1.333 teaspoons Baking powder
- ⅔ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 fresh egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 1.333 cups Buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1.333 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For Jello Frosting
- 3 packages strawberry gelatin (75g|3 ounces)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
- In Addition
- decorative, edible Sugar pearls (for sprinkling)
For Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350º F / 180º C. Line 2 standard 12 hole muffin pans with paper or foil liners.
In a medium bowl sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, cream butter, and sugar together until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium. Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add egg yolks and mix well. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture, in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Beat in vanilla extract.
Divide batter evenly between lined cups, filling each cup three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Rotate tins halfway through the baking process to promote even baking. Cool for 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
For Strawberry Jello Frosting:
Place strawberry Jello, granulated sugar, egg white and vanilla in a clean, grease free glass or metal mixing bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment.
Turn the mixer on HIGH and immediately add the half cup of boiling water. Whip on high for five minutes, until light and fluffy.
Spoon frosting into a pastry bag fitting with decorating tip and pipe frosting over the top of each cupcake. Sprinkle with decorative edible sugar pearls.