Bread Stuffing with Dried Cherries and Toasted Pecans
ready in 1 hr 25 min.
- 1 loaf rustic white bread (or wheat bread)
- 3 Tbsps unsalted butter (plus extra for baking dish)
- 1 medium yellow onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 large Celery (stalks)
- 4 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup packed, dried tart Cherries
- 1 cup Pecan (toasted and chopped)
- 2 Tbsps chopped fresh Sage
- 1 Tbsp crushed fennel seeds
- coarse salt
- freshly ground Black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 cups low-sodium Chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
How healthy are the main ingredients?Cherrygarlic cloveparsleySagewhite breadCelery
Preheat oven to 400º F. Position oven racks in the middle and lower third of the oven. On two rimmed baking sheets, arrange bread in a single layer. Toast until dry and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
Lightly butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion and celery are softened, about 7 minutes. Add cherries, pecans, sage, and fennel seed; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Add parsley, eggs, and bread to the cherry mixture; stir to combine. Add broth in two additions, stirring until absorbed. Season generously with salt and pepper; transfer stuffing to butter baking dish. Bake on middle rack until the top is deep golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.