Braised Lamb Shanks with Jerusalem Artichokes
- 300 grams Jerusalem artichoke
- 500 grams shallots
- 2 garlic
- 4 lamb shanks (each about 350 grams)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 250 milliliters dry Red wine
- 400 milliliters lamb stock
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme
- 4 mint (with flowers)
Rinse and peel Jerusalem artichokes. Peel shallots. Peel garlic and squeeze through a garlic press.
Rinse meat, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and brown lamb shanks on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add Jerusalem artichokes, shallots, garlic and tomato paste to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes. Return meat to the pan and deglaze with red wine and lamb stock. Braise in preheated oven at 180°C (approximately 350°F) for about 1 3/4 hours. Add more stock to the pan as needed and baste meat with cooking juices often.
Add mint and thyme to the pan and braise for another 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with fresh mint.