- 3 kilograms Beef (approximately 7 pounds)
- ⅛ liter vegetable oil (approximately 4 ounces)
- 5 large carrots
- 3 garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 parsley
- 1 ¾ liters Red wine (approximately 6 cups)
- ⅛ liter Cognac or Brandy (approximately 4 ounces)
- 1 kilogram onions (approximately 2 pounds)
- 80 grams clarified butter (approximately 2 ounces)
- 150 grams Bacon (approximately 5 ounces)
- Black pepper
- 300 grams button Mushroom (approximately 11 ounces)
- 40 grams butter (approximately 2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons Pastry flour
- 1 bunch chopped parsley
Slice beef into 3 cm cubes (approximately 1 inch). Place in a large pot and drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil. Peel 3 carrots and cut into thick slices, add to meat. Peel and quarter garlic cloves, add to pot along with herbs. Pour in red wine and cognac or brandy. Cover, refrigerate and let sit overnight.
The next day, peel the onions and chop coarsely. Remove meat from pot and drain. Heat clarified butter in a very large pan, dice bacon and cook in pan, then remove bacon and drippings and set aside. Place meat in pan and cook. Add onions and carrots, then add bacon and drippings back in to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer for 3 hours over low heat (or 60 minutes in a pressure cooker). 10 minutes before end of cooking add the quartered mushrooms. Mix butter with flour and add to the liquid. Cook for 7 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley, and if desired, with potatoes seasoned with parsley.