- 1 kilogram green Asparagus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- freshly ground peppers
- 8 eggs
- 200 milliliters milk
- 2 tablespoons Crème fraiche (at least 30% fat content)
- 250 grams Whipped cream (at least 30% fat content)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Chervil
- 2 tablespoons scallions
- 1 pinch freshly ground Nutmeg
- butter (for greasing)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
Rinse the asparagus, peel the bottom third, trim the ends and cut into 5 cm (approximately 2 inch) long pieces. Simmer the asparagus in plenty of salted water with the sugar and lemon juice for 6-7 minutes until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
Peel the onion, chop finely and fry in hot clarified butter. Grease a casserole dish with butter and arrange the onion and asparagus in it. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs, milk, crème fraîche and heavy cream. Season with salt, nutmeg and pepper and add the chopped herbs. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and bake for 30-40 minutes in the preheated oven.
To serve, cut into pieces.