1 hr 25 min.
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- ½ Fennel bulb (cored and chopped)
- 2 sticks Celery (chopped)
- olive oil
- ¾ inch fresh ginger (finely sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 red chili pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Coriander
- 3 cloves
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 bunch Basil
- ⅞ cup Red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsps soft brown sugar
Place all the vegetables except the tomatoes in a large pan with 4 tbsp olive oil, the spices, season well and cook gently for 15 minutes until softened.
Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer until reduced by half – 30-40 minutes.
Add the basil then blend the sauce in batches in a food processor until smooth. Push through a sieve into a clean pan.
Add the vinegar and sugar and simmer until reduced and the consistency of ketchup. Adjust the seasoning, pour into sterilised bottles and store in the refrigerator.