Sweet Pastry Squares
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
- 11 ozs Yufka pastry (or filo pastry)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsps honey
- 1 cup Walnut (finely ground e. g. in a coffee grinder)
- 1 cup almonds (finely ground, e. g. in a coffee grinder)
- 1 cup Pistachio (roughly chopped)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Rose water
- 0.333 cup melted butter (approx. quantity)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 0.333 cup chopped Pistachio (to garnish)
Separate the dough sheets carefully and cover with a damp cloth. Heat the oven to 220°C (200°C in a fan oven), 425°F, gas 7.
Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold in the honey, nuts, cinnamon and rosewater. Brush a rectangular baking tin (approx. 15x30 cm) with a little melted butter.
Lay 3-4 pastry sheets in the tin, brushing each with a little butter, then spread some of the nut mixture over the pastry. Repeat this process, finishing with 3-4 pastry sheets. Bake for approx. 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring the sugar and 125 ml water to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
Remove the baklava from the oven and gradually spoon the syrup over it while still hot. Let cool and sprinkle with pistachios.
Remove from the tin and cut into pieces to serve.