Sushi for Kids
This recipe is not only fun to make-- it's also packed with protein and vegetables and is low in fat.
Replace the chicken with tuna to add some healthy fatty acids to the meal.
Author of this recipe:
all recipes of this author
- For the veggie maki rolls
- 4 slices Wholemeal Bread
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- ⅔ cup Sesame seeds
- 4 large carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1 small Cucumber (seeded and cut into batons)
- For the chicken and veg rice paper rolls
- 1 carrot (peeled and shredded)
- ½ small Cucumber (cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup baby Spinach (washed)
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 8 Rice paper (kept under a damp cloth)
- 2 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts (cut into strips)
For the veggie maki rolls:
Cut the crusts from the slices of bread and then lightly butter the top side of the bread. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and then roll a rolling pin across their tops to flatten them out and help the seeds stick to the bread. Carefully turn the bread over and top with the grated carrots and cucumber batons. Roll into cigar shapes and cut into rolls. Serve immediately or chill until needed.
NOTE do not give your baby sesame seeds until over 1 year old if there is a familial history of allergies.
For the chicken and veg rice paper rolls:
Toss the veggies and spinach with the soy sauce and vinegar. Arrange in the centre of the rice paper rolls and top with strips of chicken in the middle. Fold the ends of the paper over on top of the filling and roll into tight rolls. Serve immediately or chill until needed.